Monday, September 27, 2010

The Little Old Man Who Loved To Can


One of my favorite childhood reads was "The Little Old Man Who Loved To Can." He canned so much food that every room of his house was filled with jars of tomatoes, green beans, and other vegetables. When at last the house overflowed with jars, he fell into despair because he wouldn't be able to can any more. Luckily he found an orphanage full of hungry children and everyone lived happily ever after.

Why this story affected me so deeply, I don't know. I only know that I, too, am compelled to can or freeze or dry every extra bit of garden produce. Currently I'm roasting and freezing pimento peppers, and happy to have some ripe ones before the first frost.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

And I am compelled to eat as much of your canned/frozen food as possible!

Love you woman who loves to can!