Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Two-Layer Cake

Dennis said he likes chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. We've only been married 34 years, so I didn't know that. I decided to bake one. Both layers stuck to the bottom of their pans. Here's one, after I scraped the stuck parts and tried to place them correctly.


OK, the patched part goes down. Oops! The cake is taller on one side and a large crack appears.


Frosting, like make-up on a woman, conceals many flaws.


After the cake effort, a simple supper seemed best.

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Your last line made me chuckle! The simple supper looks delicious! What's on the tomatoes? Did you make your own baked beans, or are they from a can? I ask that wondering if you even buy cans!

I love the make-up metaphor! Ain't it the truth! So how did your chocolate cake taste?

I made a rhubarb cake during the Reinking reunion at my house. Everyone wanted the recipe, which came from an old issue of Taste of Home.

Shirley said...

The cake is the Hershey's cocoa recipe, but I used Giradelli. It's very moist and tasty, but more sugary than I'm used to.

That's homemade ranch dressing. Yes, I made the baked beans from scratch, using navy (pea) beans. Cooked the beans in water and tomato sauce before adding the goodies - brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and chopped onion.

We love rhubarb. Please post or e-mail the recipe.