Sunday, June 3, 2018

Disgruntled


I awoke this morning to find that the electricity was off due to a storm. No coffee! That fit right in with my almost perpetual irritation these days. The new lenses for my glasses did not arrive when they were promised. A generous two weeks went by. I called the dispensary to complain. Now three weeks have passed and they’re stillnot here.

I’m not happy with the blood pressure medicine I’m taking, either. It makes me dizzy and unsure of my steps. I feel like a drunk reeling from lamppost to lamppost, and that makes me mad.  What good is medicine if it makes me feel worse?

It isn’t just the big issues that irritate me. For example, toothpaste tubes used to be made of something I could roll up from the bottom and they would stay in that position, forcing the remaining toothpaste to the top. Now they’re made of plastic that keeps its original shape and will not cooperate. UPC code stickers on fruit and vegetables in the grocery store also irritate me no end. They are too difficult to remove, and rip the skin right off a delicate pear. Even stickers on peels that will be discarded irritate me because we give kitchen scraps to our chickens, and they certainly don't need to eat the stickers along with the banana peels.

I could go on naming all the irritants – people, thing, and cs, situations  – but you get the idea. Everything makes angry or irritated. I’ve become a cranky old woman. 

Or could it be Donald Trump?

Copyright 2018 by Shirley Domer 

No comments: