Wednesday, June 13, 2018

No Thanks

About five years ago a friend invited us to an informal reception immediately following his daughter’s wedding ceremony. We attended and took a gift, an immersion blender (which I consider an essential kitchen gadget).  The bride and groom didn’t open the gifts at the event, nor were they expected to do so. But weeks went by and no one acknowledged the gift by note, phone call, email, or text. To put the best light on ii, I thought perhaps the gift card and gift had become separated and the couple didn't know who to thank

In ensuing years more friends invited us to their children’s events – weddings and baby showers.  Each time, even when we couldn’t attend the event, we sent generous gifts.  Thank you notes never arrived. Slowly I’ve come to the realization that mores have changed, and the tradition of thank you notes has been cast aside.

My mother taught me that every gift must be acknowledged, even if it is ugly, inappropriate, or useless. The ritual of writing thank you notes was an essential part of the baby or wedding shower.
Obviously that isn’t done any more, but I wish I knew why the practice has been abandoned. 

And, yes, this change is one more thing about modern life that makes me disgruntled. I may stop responding to these invitations and send no gift. Instead I will just attend funerals and send condolences, which need not be acknowledged since the person who is honored is unable to respond.

Copyright 2018 by Shirley Domer 

No comments: