Saturday, May 19, 2018

Stuff

Stuff everywhere I look! Paintiings, ceramics, dried flowers, nonfunctional but attractive wooden bowls, do-dads people have given us, photographs – you know, stuff. Everybody has it, it seems, but it’s beginning to feel like a burden to me. 

Why? The sad thing is that these things have grown so familiar to my eyes that I don’t really see them any more. 

I want to shake things up, to start over, but how? Once, years ago, I boxed up some things and put them in the basement to give them a rest and recuperation time.  They may have been as tired of being ignored ad I was of not seeing them. Later I got them out again, and gave other things a rest. That won’t work now because I can’t carry boxes to the basement any more.

Once I gave myself a birthday potlatch. I insisted that everyone take something home with them. I had set up a table, covered with give-away things to choose from. Everyone found something they liked, and a lot of Stuff went out the door. Alas, I’m too old and tired to have parties any more.

Maybe I’ll call in the troops – the children and grandchild who check on me to make sure I’m all right.  I’ll tell them I’m not all right but that I would be if they would come and took away all this Stuff.



Copyright 2018 Shirley Domer

2 comments:

pookie's green sweater said...

I long to be rid of 75% to 90% of my stuff!

LawrenceLinda said...

Carol Hurst told me that on June 5 there is to be a workshop on downsizing in Lawrence. She is interested because they will give a list of people who will come and take your STUFF. Maybe she will share the list!!