Thursday, August 6, 2015

How the USDA Broke My Heart

Nearly forty years ago when Dennis and I bought our place in the country I began collecting seeds from a nearby native prairie, Black Jack Prairie, to scatter in our four-acre pasture that had been planted to brome grass.  I had always loved the Kansas prairies and wanted to restore the grasses and forbs* to their rightful place. This project became my life’s mission.

Over the ensuing years, as I continued my mission, the native seeds began to take hold and thrive. Gradually the brome, starved for a more alkaline soil, has died out and the acid-loving natives have thrived. This spring has been the pasture’s most glorious year. Big bluestem is taking hold and towers to seven feet. There’s Indian grass and a host of forbs – Kansas gayfeather, wild white indigo, rattlesnake master, black-eyed Susan, butterfly weed (a milkweed), nodding milkweed, hoary vervain, partridge pea, flowering spurge, and many others.

Little did I realize that lurking amongst these native plants was a noxious weed, Sericea lespedeza, a native of Asia. In 1924 the U.S. Department of Agriculture obtained seeds from Japan and introduced Sericea lespedeza in this country for use as a forage crop, hay, wildlife habitat, and erosion control. In Kansas it was widely planted around reservoirs and along roadsides.

It was a tragic mistake, for animals won’t eat it because of its tannic acid content and Sericea lespedeza aggressively crowds out native plants, which cannot compete with its millions of seeds. It has now spread to several states and was declared a noxious weed in Kansas in 2000.

Alas, Sericea lespedeza has been in our pasture for several years without our recognizing it for the danger that it is. Only when I took my friend Pam out to see the glorious gayfeather display did I learn its significance. Pam recognized it and alerted me to the importance of eliminating it before it completely takes over the pasture. In the photo below, the evil one is completely surrounding a single rattlesnake master plant.


Here, it has infiltrated an patch of Kansas gayfeather.


Imagine how it feels to have one’s mission in life threatened in this way! I had hoped to leave a native pasture for posterity, but now its future is doubtful. There are ways to fight the enemy, but almost all of them involve the use of herbicides, which would not affect the native grasses but would surely kill the forbs. Moreover, we have not used chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides on the land since we came here. To employ herbicide now goes against our principles.

Dennis, my knight in shining armor, has been going out every morning to cut down the larger plants before they can flower and produce more seeds. Here’s a small part of his work, illustrated in the tan-colored vegetation in the photo below.


I have worried over the invasion now for more than two weeks. Anxiety keeps me awake at night and I’ve lost my appetite. I do endless research, looking for biological controls, to little avail. I make phone calls to agencies such as the USDA Extension Service seeking help and advice. I’ve learned that the seeds will persist in the soil for twenty years and that burning only encourages their germination. (We unwittingly burned our pasture last spring.)

My heart is breaking and I blame it all on the USDA. This is a mistake people have made over and over again – moving flora and fauna from one ecosystem to another. Many transplants, such as our lespedeza, flying catfish, and boa constrictors, have no natural predators in their new environment and quickly become massive problems. It does not pay to mess with Mother Nature and the USDA had better learn that lesson soon.

* Forbs are flowering plants that are not grasses, sedges, or rushes. In Kansas forsbs include Kansas gayfeather, rattlesnake master, black-eyed Susan, wild white indigo, several kinds of milkweed, and others.


Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

Is the herbicide a threat to humans and other animals? If not, I would use it and reseed with native plants. You might give the prairie a fighting chance if there are no other sources of the seeds around you.

Shirley said...

Yes, indeed it is a threat. When I read the list of precautions for the use of the recommended herbicide Pasture Guard I was appalled to think of Dennis spraying it in the pasture. In addition, the pasture slopes toward Chicken Creek so the run-off will carry contamination to the water, which, I believe ends up in Clinton Lake, the source of water for Lawrence and beyond. Our water district gets its water from Clinton, so the Pasture Guard will return in our morning coffee.

I am on the track of one biological measure, the lespedeza webworm. Iowa researchers introduced the pest to several Kansas counties and found it to be effective. (Iowans hope to keep the plant from spreading in their state.) Now, the question is, "How can I procure some lespedeza webworms?" I'm also pursuing soil amendment measures that could create an inhospitable environment for the evil one, such as manure and potassium. I'm leaving no stone unturned.