Friday, October 17, 2014

My Drink of Choice


Personal preferences are odd.  Or, as the saying explains, “One man’s meat is another man’s poison.” For example, I’ve never understood why people like to drink wine. Wine, red or white, tastes like vinegar to me. In fact, I’d rather drink cider vinegar, especially sweetened with honey and diluted with water.

Oh, I used to drink wine and sometimes still do to be sociable, but I never really cared about it. That changed when we moved to Kentucky in 2000.  Prior to moving, we visited Lexington to look at houses and stayed in a small hotel near downtown. We had arrived late, so we checked in, took our luggage to our room, and came back to the small restaurant for an evening meal. All the tables – there weren’t many – were taken so we sat at the bar to wait our turn.

The bartender engaged us in conversation and when he learned that we were moving to Kentucky, he began to sing the praise of bourbon. When said I’d never cared for it, the barkeep poured a finger of bourbon into a glass for me to try. “Well, now,  I didn’t know that bourbon could taste that good,” I said. He replied “You’ve just never tasted real bourbon, Kentucky bourbon,” and poured a different sample for me to taste.

We waited quite a while for a table, long enough for me to have been transformed into a Kentucky bourbon lover. I had tasted, and loved, bourbons from several Kentucky distilleries. Each bourbon had a distinctive flavor, but they all shared the clean, bright taste and pleasant tingling afterglow that mark good bourbon. (Wine lovers might claim that drinking bourbon is akin to drinking mouthwash.) My teacher told me that it’s the limestone-filtered water that makes Kentucky bourbon the best.

From then on, Kentucky bourbon has been my drink of choice. In fact, I believe I’ll have one right now. Here’s to you!



What is bourbon?

The importance of limestone-filtered water to bourbon-making:

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

I'm with on this one, Shirley. Sometimes, an ale is what tastes good, but most often it is bourbon. We will just have to wait to discover why that is. Something about living in the Midwest I'm guessing.
Here's hoping that is doesn't have anything to do with Mitch McConnell. Go Grimes!

Jayhawk Fan said...

Just hope the affluent Chinese don't drive the price up any further!