Monday, October 6, 2014

Life Is Good


It’s funny how once in a blue moon a day is good from beginning to end. (I’ll admit that I’m not there yet, but I’m nearing the finish line – reading until I fall asleep.) This has been such a day. I was productive, doing laundry and cooking plums for jam. I drove to town, got the good news that my finger fusion has completely healed, and am glorying in the beautiful fall weather and the season’s bounty.

Our dear neighbors Laurie and Greg have a Red Delicious apple tree that has produced a bumper crop this year.  They keep a ladder by the tree for visiting apple harvesters. Today Dennis brought home a bushel basket almost filled with fruit, and many others have done the same. These apples have not been sprayed with pesticides, so they aren’t the perfect fruit you see in grocery stores. These are real apples, warts and all.


For supper tonight we had two of the last tomatoes of the season in a salad with the first picking of arugula from our fall garden.


Then I read a message from Cousin Kyle, who had been perusing this journal. He said:

“Your writings are quite varied.  From the environmental nut case to
painting mental pictures with your words/descriptions of nature right
here all around us.  I seem to like both sides of you.  How's that for
a bona fide non-tree hugger?  Do you suppose, a person softens a bit with age?”

Anytime people who hold different points of view can communicate amicably, that’s a good day.   Kyle's message was the icing on the delicious cake this day has been. 

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

No comments: