Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Autumn Rain


Autumn rains are different from the rains of any other season. Spring rains, often in the form of turbulent thunderstorms, bring the earth to life. Autumn rains get the earth ready for bed, ready for its long winter rest. Like a little kid, the earth needs a drink of water before settling in for a long night.

We are thankful to have just had a 24-hour constant soft rain – what the Germans call a “Dauerregen.” The chickens stayed in their snug house all day, chatting and engaging in rainy day activities. I stayed inside, too, reading and making soup. Leaves fell with the rain, littering the patio and picnic table with golden coins.


When I turned off my bedside lamp last night, lay back, and closed my eyes, soft patters against the window sang an irresistible lullaby.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

LawrenceLinda said...

How lovely! We, too, had long lasting rain and gusty breezes. One 'breeze' blew my pot off the side porch. Quilts are on beds and I am under them.