Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Keeping It Together in the Kitchen


I should have been a librarian because I love to categorize, especially in the kitchen. Maybe that’s just the nature of a Virgo at work, but I rationalize that having an organized kitchen is more efficient than trying to cook in chaos.

For example, I have a baking area that includes all the mixing bowls, utensils, tools, measures,  basic dry ingredients, and pans – in short, everything involved in baking except for cooling racks that are located by the oven. Spices are divided into two groups: baking and cooking, the first in the baking area, the second by the stove.

Another area that I categorize is clean up. I do enjoy the luxury of having a dishwasher, but I use it mostly for washing table service such as plates, glasses, flatware, and serving bowls. I load like things together. Not only do they nest together in a way that allows more things to go in, but they also make unloading easier. (OK, maybe I actually suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder.) Here’s the bottom rack.


And here’s the top rack.


And here’s a dishwasher top rack poorly loaded. It started out pretty well, with some like things together, but fell apart at the end.


Almost everything else I wash by hand. Because I hate drying dishes, I  start with the little things. (Note the knife is point side down to avoid injuries.)


Then I wash the medium-sized things.


And finally I add the big things, wipe the counters, wring out the dishcloth, and walk away to read a book.


Who cares whether this is obsessive behavior? Even more than I love to categorize, I  love to read.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Hey there! I notice the chaotic top rack is a photo from MY dishwasher! I hate those darn Camelbaks because they never fit in well, but they are invaluable for my swimming class!

Shirley said...

No offense intended. It could just as well been my dishwasher after Dennis has loaded it. I just rearrange after he has finished.