Friday, August 8, 2014

Flowers and People


I love to sit on Nancy’s patio enjoying the blue, blue Colorado sky, studying the patterns in the patio stones, and observing the flowers and vines that Nancy cultivates. In addition to flowerbeds she has planters full of annual flowers such as this one full of violas.


The violas have self-seeded in the planters for three or four years now. They have even moved out of the shade into the sunny patio, finding purchase in the cracked cement.


Nancy’s planters also were home to plants like this one. We don’t know its name so we call it Pinky.


Unlike the viola, Pinky prefers the patio and has popped up in the patio’s cement cracks as far away from its original home as twenty feet. Everywhere I look I see tufts of tiny pink flowers.


Sometimes a viola teams up with a Pinky to form a miniature bouquet.


These flowers prefer sun and scanty soil to the shady planter with its rich soil. Now they have found a place where they can thrive. I think people are like flowers in that regard. Each of us seeks a perfect spot where we can be ourselves and realize our potential. For some of us, that’s in a busy city full of excitement and noise. Cities are fun to visit, but myself, I’m more at home in the country where the pace is slow and the only sound is the wind or a calling bird.

We have all heard that we should bloom where we are planted, but maybe we should plant ourselves where we can bloom.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

3 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

Are there going to be patio inspired wall hangings? I hope so.
What kind of critters come up between the cracks?
Welcome home.

Jayhawk Fan said...

Lovely post and some very insightful thoughts about place and where we fit best! I've had to adjust to the noisy life on Uintah Street. I'm not sure I can spend my retirement in such a busy place, but I've tried to make it home while I'm here.

Shirley said...

My friend Barb asked a gardening friend of hers to identify the pink flowers. Here is her reply:

Barb,
It appears to be Gypsophila muralis, (an annual Baby's Breath) which has a finer leaf than the more well-known G. repens (perennial). The pictures have inspired me to track down some G. muralis for use next year in containers.
Hope this helps!
Ginny