Monday, February 3, 2014

Rendering Lard



This 13-pound bag of pork fat has been sitting in my freezer for three months, waiting for me to render it into lard. (I don't know why the label says $0.01. It really cost 40¢ a pound.) I’d never rendered fat before but I knew I would make a big mess doing it. Procrastination comes easily to me and I found several excuses, such as waiting until after the holidays or waiting until I had used up my supply of canola oil.

Finally, I knew it was time to wade into the fat. The butcher shop had ground the fat and I was thankful I didn’t have to chop hunks of fat into little pieces before I could begin. After the fat had thawed, which took a couple of days, I stuffed half the fat into the crock pot and turned the temperature to high.  Soon liquid began to form around the edges of the pot.


I stirred the fat every 20 minutes to keep it from sticking or burning. After a few hours a good amount of liquid fat had accumulated.


I set a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a large bowl and ladled some of the fat, both liquid and chunks, into it. 


Then I dumped the solids back into the crock pot. I repeated this process several times, each time pouring the liquid fat into a one-quart canning jar.


I was tired and wanting to go read my book by the time only a couple of inches of fat particles remained in the pot. I dumped the remaining fat into a large baking pan and put it in the oven to finish. The end result was another cup or two of liquid fat and a lot of cracklings. I drained the cracklings on a brown paper bag. We will sprinkle these crunchy, high-protein bits on salads.


Finally, I have two full quarts of lard and a small bowl full. 


Tonight I’m going to make lard biscuits for supper, just like my grandma used to do. And when I render the remainder of that big bag of fat, I’ll do it in the oven. To heck with the crock pot.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

And how did your lard biscuits turn out?

Thanks for this instructive post!

Shirley said...

Lard biscuits are perfect. They're crusty outside but moist inside. Their crumb is more substantial than oil biscuits'. I'll be making these from now on.

We don't care for the cracklings and plan to give them to the chickens as a special treat. They can eat the protein and return it to us in their lovely eggs.

I failed to mention in the post that lard rendering is, just as I feared, a messy undertaking. One good result of that was my nice, soft hands. Lard is a great emollient.