Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Being Old; Being Happy


My pal Barbara send me a link to a New York Times article, “What Makes Older People Happy?” The author cites several studies that show the difference between happiness in young people and happiness in older people. Basically, while youth find happiness in extraordinary experiences, older folk find it in familiar routines. I couldn’t agree more.

I’ve seen a lot in my lifetime and traveled to both Europe and Asia. I’ve gone camping in the mountains and visited countless museums. I’ve attended concerts and expositions. At this point in life I hope to never tour another damp cathedral or endure another corny opera.

Nope, my happiness lies in doing the most mundane of tasks. Currently baking whole wheat sourdough bread makes me very happy. When I sliced the bread for our breakfast this morning I was pleased to see that it soon will be time to bake another loaf.


Thinking about why bread baking makes me happy I realize that a lot of pleasure comes from my symbiotic relationship with my sourdough starter, or, as some in the sourdough trade call it, my “mother sour.” Starter consists of lactobacilli and wild yeasts., two life forms very different from me. I nourish them; they nourish me. We keep each other going. In this way it is like keeping chickens.

I love watching the bread dough slowly rise, observing the fermentation process as the starter transforms the wheat gluten, making it more digestible for me. The wheat feeds both of us.

I love the aroma of the bread as it nears perfection in the oven. I love the texture and consistency of each slice. I love the slight sourness its taste.

Successfully getting the starter going and working out the recipe and process for this bread gives me a sense of achievement, a boost to my self confidence. I'm thrilled that I've made it work. The whole miraculous process makes me happy. 

In the end, the simple life is the best life. You young ones, get out there and explore. Please send postcards. I’ll be here baking bread.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

What a great observation about living life as a young person and now as an older person. I think I must have aged before my time as the routines of life have made me happiest!

Love you, Mamacita!