Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Streets of Delft


I used to sew almost daily. I started sewing to make clothes for myself and my children. I made dresses, pants, blouses, coats and suits. Somewhere along the line I started sewing quilts, and then, after I stayed in the old city of Delft for two weeks, quilted wall hangings.

Delft is a city of patterns. The streets are brick and stone, laid by hand by artisans. The walls are brick and stone also. These patterns so fascinated me that I took hundreds of photos of streets and buildings, focusing on small areas.

Back home, I dug through my collection of fabrics salvaged from thrift shop clothing and started sewing. I was first inspired by this photo of a Delft street.


From a pair of women’s shorts I made this interpretation.


Next up was a quilt based on this brick and stone Delft street design.


A collection of broadcloth shirts turned into old bricks


Third, I chose the brickwork in the plaza by the University of Delft library.


After a long search I found just the right yarn to make the moss that grows between the bricks.


The photo of a small portion of a stone wall with mortar lines painted red inspired me next. Somehow I've lost the photo, but here's my interpretation. I added a tree branch on impulse.


I call this series “The Streets of Delft.” It isn’t finished yet. I started a fifth wall hanging about 18 months ago, but had to stop working when arthritis problems and surgeries made sewing too difficult or impossible.

Now I’m able to take up my work again. My fingers are itching to touch the cloth, to thread my machine, and start sewing. Oh, how I’ve missed it.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

I know the feeling. It's creeping back into my fingers, too. I love the photos of your art work AND, of course, the artwork, too.

Jayhawk Fan said...

Love this post! Thanks for sharing the photos of your work and inspiration!