Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pie Screw-up


Maybe I was distracted by the beauty outdoors. Autumn is upon us and the soybean fields are quickly turning golden and soon will be brown.


Blame the season, blame old age, blame an absence of focus, blame whatever one might, I screwed up the last peach pie this afternoon. I was just ready to put the pie in the oven when I noticed the bowl of sugar mixed with cornstarch still sitting on the counter. I had put the peaches and chopped ginger in the crust, plopped on the top crust and sealed it without adding the sugar and thickener!

What to do? Without a little sugar and thickener the pie would be soupy and very tart. The situation called for radical measures, so I cut the top crust in quarters, right up to the edge of the crust, folded back each quarter, and added the sugar/cornstarch mixture.


The four quarters folded back onto the pie neatly.


The pie wouldn’t win any prizes at the county fair, but I’ll bet it’s going to taste good. The crust edges might be the best ever, who knows?


Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: