Friday, September 6, 2013

The Gift of Solitude




Yesterday, the 78th anniversary of my birth, was also the three-month anniversary of my shoulder surgery. Whoo-ee! What a time it has been! Despair, anxiety, hope, and at last, recovery. A lot of good people – family and friends – helped me get through the ordeal. I love every one of them, but now I’m peopled out and ready for some solitude.

Are all Virgos introverts? No, I know one who is an extrovert, but the two I know best, myself and my friend Kathy, certainly are. We both love people, but like most introverts, we give our all to social interaction. It drains us and we have to refuel in private.

That’s why, when Dennis invited me to a restaurant birthday celebration, I declined. Instead I wanted a day by myself, a day to reflect, regroup, and rejuvenate. I needed some solitude and Dennis was obliging. It was a wonderful gift.

By late afternoon I was ready for a small celebration. Right on cue, Oz and Marianne came bearing homemade cream puffs, a wildflower bouquet in a hand-made vase, a whimsical card, and hugs and smiles. Dennis came home to join the party. The three of them presented me with a new e-reader.

The celebration was sweet and simple, the perfect ending for a day of solitude, the best gift of all.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: