Monday, March 18, 2013

Friend Power


When I turned 77 I figured I would die soon. Seventy-six had been a trying year with three wrist surgeries and a bad fall. I was feeling vulnerable. Moreover, my mother died when she was 78.

Subsequently, I suffered a loss of confidence. Then I fell into a funk, a deep one.

Finally, months later, I’m getting my mojo back and it’s all due to friend power.

Kathy and I, who have a long history, used to get together regularly to sew or do other creative work. Then, the sewing stopped when I had wrist surgeries. Instead, Kathy came to be my caregiver in the first few days following each operation.

Kathy came back today to sew. I had made a great effort to get the sewing room, now sewing room/desk area ready. Still, my art table was literally covered with long-delayed, uncompleted projects, some of them works in progress and some there for repairs.

Somehow, with Kathy working near me, my spirits lifted, my mind and hands found their competence and I finished all the repairs.

The old driftwood sculpture of a shore bird that I made many years ago in Biloxi  had been leaning far forward, its legs cracked just above the feet. Now it stands upright again.


The Dennis mask I made years ago had fallen from the wall, its horns broken off and damaged. Now it’s back on its wall spot, repaired and ready to cause more mischief.


I also repaired a broken marble etching that Lucy gave me many years ago and the broken natural tendril on this miniature gourd that I beaded years ago.


I'm back in the groove. My confidence has returned. I'm not waiting to die. I attribute it to Kathy’s presence and her unconditional love. This is the power of friendship.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: