Saturday, May 19, 2012

Moth Festival

Walking toward our front door this morning I was struck by the large number of moths resting on the stone wall.


Up closer I could see that it was a moth convention, all varieties welcome to attend.


I've long been a butterfly lover, but moths are beginning to edge them out of favor. For one thing, moths hold still for photos, but the main reason I love them is their seemingly endless variety.

I didn't photograph each kind, but here are a few up close...


The fuzzy-headed one...


The apparently headless ones...


The most well-disguised...


The ones that looks like tree bark...


The ferocious one...


The girly one...



And the most spectacular, the male luna...


The male has feathery antennae, while the female's are plain.

That's all for today, folks. Aside from admiring moths, stemming the last of the gooseberries, tending the little chickens and making vegetable lasagna, I'm fervently hoping for rain.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Love these photos! I remember sleeping upstairs and be awakened by a luna moth tapping on my window! It was huge and magical!

Cheryl said...

Did you ever read Freckles??? Glad you got the rain you wanted. XXXOOO

Shirley said...

I haven't read Freckles. I guess it's a book about moths. I'll look for it, Cheryl.