Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Moth Festival, Day Three

First thing every morning after I start the coffee I go outside to see who is attending the moth festival.

The large black and grey moths are always in attendance, but weren't featured in my first moth festival post. It's almost two inches long.


Several new varieties showed up this morning. They weren't wearing name tags so I've given them nicknames. This one is Triangles.


Next, meet Four White Dots, aka Bullethead.


 Here's Grey Fan,


As well as cousin Tan Fan.


Next comes Scallops.


This is Harelip, because the inner tip of one wing is malformed. If you look at the two large dots as eyes, you will understand the name. I would love to see the underwing with its red markings. Harelip is accompanied by an unnamed bug.


Finally comes Zebra. This isn't a very good photo because it was sitting high on the wall. I really needed to stand on a rock or something, but yesterday I fell backward into the chicken yard, hurt my back, and was afraid to risk falling again.


After documenting the moth festival I've spent the day with an occasional ice pack and a darned good book, Anne Patchett's State of Wonder.


1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I LOVE the names you've given these moths! Amazing that so many have come to roost on your rock wall!

I love Anne Patchett! I look forward to reading this one!

I do hope you are feeling better today, Mamacita!