Tuesday, May 1, 2012

At Last, The Rain

It came in the night on Saturday, announced by flashes of lightning and thunder that shook my bed. Then came the sound I've longed to hear – rain's music on the roof and windowpane. I snuggled in with a deep sigh of relief and fell asleep with a peaceful mind.


Because I'm a farmer's daughter that I become so tense and worried when there's no rain. I learned early in life that our family's well-being depended in large part on rain. Were the fields too wet for spring planting? Did corn seeds lie dormant for lack of the moisture needed for germination? Could Dad bale the hay that was curing in the pasture before a storm ruined it? Would the cistern, our only source of water for the house, run dry if rain didn't come soon? Rain was always on our minds.

Now my livelihood doesn't depend on rain, but my way of life does. We love our garden and the food it gives us. We love our flower beds and the beauty of their leaves and blossoms. We love digging in the dirt, sowing seeds, weeding, and watching plants grow.

First thing every morning I check the weather forecast. This past month meteorologists predicted rain time and again but we were disappointed. Tension grew as day after day passed without rain. Optimism faded into anxiety. Now rainfall is more than sufficient – another big rain came last night – and every living thing is energized. Life can go on.




No comments: