Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Difference between Blue and Red

Kansas, as you know, is a terribly Red state. Currently an ultra-conservative governor presides in nearby Topeka, our capital. Republicans outnumber Democrats everywhere in the state except in the state university town, Lawrence. Although Dennis and I live in the country, Blue Lawrence is our main and frequent destination for work, shopping and friendship. Many people, including Sandy, who cleans our house, think of us as part of Lawrence.

Today I was telling Sandy that we have two large trash barrels in the garage, one for paper recycling and the other for non-recyclables. Sandy said, "It's funny, none of my Topeka clients recycle, but all the ones in Lawrence do."

"That's the difference between Republicans and Democrats," I replied.

I didn't know how she would take my comment. Sandy roared. Then we both did.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

People around here in RED-neck Colorado Springs make fun of me for recycling! Thank goodness the waste management companies now provide recycling services here, although we pay through the nose for them! My recycling dumpster is fuller than the regular trash can!