Friday, April 20, 2012

Cinnamon Bread


I'm on a binge of learning about heart health. First I was surprised to learn about the connection between calcium supplements and increased heart attacks in older women. I wrote "Bad Advice, Well-Intended" about that one.

Now I'm surprised to learn that my favorite spice is good for one's heart! Cinnamon also reduces blood sugar, is anti-microbial and anti-fungal, and improves circulation. It contains calcium, manganese, fiber and iron. It also is anti-clotting and can reduce arthritis pain.

One cardiologist recommends eating 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon every day. I'm happy to oblige. I've loved cinnamon toast since I was a little girl. Mother made sugar pies with cinnamon sprinkled on top; I loved those, too.*

Yesterday I celebrated this good news by making a loaf of cinnamon bread with raisins. It is nutritious and tasty. I had a slice toasted for breakfast this morning along with my soft-boiled egg. It will be delicious spread with peanut butter, too, I bet.


Cinnamon Raisin Bread

1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1-1/4 cups buttermilk at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached flour
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2/3 cup raisins

Pour the water into a large bowl and sprinkle on the yeast. Let this stand until it becomes foamy.

Add the buttermilk, honey, salt and unbleached flour. Stir together and gradually stir in the whole wheat flour. When the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl, turn it out onto a floured surface. (I use a pastry cloth.) Knead the dough until it becomes elastic, about ten minutes. Or, mix and knead the dough in an electric mixer with dough hook(s). Put the kneaded dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let it rise for about an hour and a half.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and use a rolling pin to form it into a 10x14" rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon and raisins, then roll up tightly starting from a short side. Pinch the dough to join edges. Place in a 9-inch loaf pan, cover and let rise until the dough rises above the top of the pan. 

Bake at 375º F. for 35-40 minutes. Turn out and cool completely on a rack before slicing.

Alternatively one can mix the cinnamon into the dough along with the flour and stir in the raisins just before kneading. Then form a simple loaf after the first rising. It just won't look as interesting when sliced. Or omit the raisins and cinnamon for a plain loaf of good bread.

*When Mother made a pie she always turned the pie crust trimmings into sugar pies. She arranged the scraps in a flat baking pan, dusted them with sugar and cinnamon and baked them at 375º for about 12 minutes. Sugar pies still warm from the over are the good child's reward.




2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I've taken to sprinkling cinnamon into my coffee grounds before brewing! The ladies at the B & B in Lawrence, The Halcyon House, introduced me to that lovely cup of flavor!

Thanks for including the recipe. I made a pathetic attempt at a loaf of whole wheat that tasted bitter! Then I remembered your advice about mixing some white in, am I correct?

Love you!

Shirley said...

What a great idea! I'll sprinkle some cinnamon on the coffee tomorrow.

A little unbleached flour helps the bread rise. I don't know about the bitterness. That might be the brand of flour you are using. I always Hudson Cream, which is milled here in Kansas. Not all whole wheat flours are the same.