Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Convalescent State of Mind

"I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worthwhile."
George Bernard Shaw

At first, during my convalescence from a series of surgeries, I didn't agree with George. I was frustrated by inactivity, by interruption of plans and, of course, by the pain that follows invasive surgery. One hand or the other was always in an immobilizing cast or splint and I went for periods of weeks trying to function with one hand.

I read a lot of books and magazines and assembled jigsaw puzzles. I began to see George's point. I usually didn't get dressed until noon. I took many naps and talked on the phone.

Being a lady of leisure became enjoyable – a little too enjoyable, I'm afraid. The last surgery was two months ago. I am able to cook again, wash dishes, do laundry, and all the fun stuff involved in keeping a household going. I can drive my car and fill it with gas when needed. But here's the problem: convalescence got to be a habit. Lolling around is enjoyable, as George said. Being waited on is pleasant and not a bit stressful.

Living an active life is important to seniors, they say, but having the gumption to do it requires self-discipline. With that objective in mind last night I made a list of projects to complete today. Today dawned with rain and heavy overcast lingers on. Making granola and whole wheat crackers, doing a couple of loads of laundry, finishing and sending off the garden seed order.....oops, it's early afternoon and I haven't tackled a single item on that list.

Linda says not to worry; it's February and no one has much motivation. We need the sweet smell of spring to revive us. If it doesn't come soon my productivity may be gone for good. Mother Nature, please bring it on, tornado watches and all.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I'm bad now, heavens! What will I be like in 20 years?! I think I took after Dad and not you, unfortunately!