Saturday, December 10, 2011

Today We Lost A Dear Friend


Butch stopped by yesterday to deliver kitchen scraps to the chickens. He had special containers to store scraps in the refrigerator. Whenever they were full, he drove out, fed the chickens and came in the house to pick up a couple dozen eggs and linger to visit.

Yesterday we discussed the subjects we always returned to – politics, the economy, weather – but added a new one: signing up for Medicare. He would be eligible in January and was wondering what he should do about supplemental insurance. That struck me as irrelevant because Butch has avoided seeing a doctor for as long as I've known him. Yesterday he said he wouldn't need Part D because he would never take medicine.

When our conversation turned to the state of our society and I said I worried for its future, Butch said, "I don't worry about that. I believe the universe began when I was born and it will end when I die."

Today Butch's universe ended. A friend, concerned that Butch wasn't returning his calls, went to check on him and found him lying dead in his apartment.

Butch was more like a member of our family than a friend. He was sweet, unpretentious, smart, capable, and loyal. He loved Annie and the chickens. He always lived here to care for them when we were out of town. He was a skilled carpenter and created many things in our house, all of which will always remind us of him. He was shy, I believe. We begged him to join our family for Thanksgiving but he apparently spent the day alone, even though his brother had invited him, too.



It's been awfully good to know you, Butch. Thank you for sharing your universe with us. You leave a big empty place in our lives.

3 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

What can I say when such a hole appears suddenly in your life? I am sorry for your loss. Your memories of him are a part of his immortality, whether he expected it or not. That's what I would hope for myself. That when people think of me after I'm gone, there would be a little smile on their face.

Jayhawk Fan said...

This is such a shock! I am saddened to hear of his passing and of your loss. He was a good friend to you and your farm.

Angela Candela said...

Thank you so much, Shirley, for sharing some of Butch's last day with us.