Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chinese Junk

No, I'm not writing about a cute little boat. This is about the quality of goods made in China. For example, I recently replaced a Revere Ware one-quart saucepan because I had burned food in my old one and don't have the hand strength to scour it out. 
When the new one arrived, it felt lighter than the old one. I hadn't thrown out the old one, so I weighed both. The old one weighs 13.95 ounces, the new one 10.60 ounces.




 I noticed that the new one was made in China so I searched on line for Revere Ware and found this page: <www.revereware-cookware.com/>. The first sentence reads, "Revere Ware Cookware are a quality product, if you happened to bought one then you made an investing worth to be protected." Gee, I wonder who wrote that sentence. Do you suppose it was written by one of the employee-owners of  Revere Copper Products, Inc.? The company's web site describes it as "a privately owned corporation whose only shareholders are its employees. Its business operates in a collegial, team-based structure with a manufacturing center in Rome, New York." This tinny little pan certainly wasn't made in Rome, New York, and I doubt the copy writer has ever been there either.


The company's motto may well be, "You want cheap? We got cheap." Paul Revere, founder of the original Revere Copper Company, must be rolling in his grave.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Save your old Revere Ware pan and I will scour it out within an inch of my life!!!

Love you!

Shirley said...

Dennis, bless him, scoured it out yesterday. Thanks for your offer of help.

LawrenceLinda said...

We have to get such a specific example of the difference in the quality of products more publicity. How can we get your blog shouted from the roof tops? Who do you know in 'broadcasting'?