Thursday, December 1, 2011

Life's Lessons

Most of life's lessons, it seems, come through mistakes we make – errors of judgement, hasty decisions, impulsive actions, inattentiveness, egotism and plain old ignorance.

Some of the lessons I've learned, both major and minor, read as a list of Don'ts. For example:

Don't lay your glasses on a bed or chair seat.

Don't spend much time with know-it-all, overbearing people.

Don't use the sharp edge of a knife to scrape food off the cutting board.

Don't try to be someone other than your self.

Don't put off having the chimney cleaned regularly if you have a wood stove.

Don't mistake sexual desire for love.

Don't try to get even.

Don't buy a Kenmore dryer.


On the other hand, some lessons belong on my a Do list, such as:

Do try to be kind.

Do eat your greens every day.

Do your best, even if it isn't very good.

Do take a book along when you leave home.

Do treat fellow human beings and other creatures with respect.

Do give what you can.

Do empty the pockets before throwing clothes in the washer.

Do try to be in the right place to watch the full moon rise.

Both of these lists could be much longer, of course. I wonder what your lists would include if you wrote them on the spur of the moment as I just did.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

These remind me of the lists Nora Ephron made in her book: Things I'll Miss/Things I Won't Miss!

The "Don't buy a Kenmore dryer" made me laugh out loud! I have benefited from following many of your do's in my life, especially the one that encourages one to take a book when you leave home. I guess I would add, to take a GOOD book!

Great lists, Mama!
Love you!
N