Monday, October 3, 2011

The Strange Land of Convalescence

The experience seems unreal, as if I have been cut off from the world in ordinary ways. My consciousness has centered on healing and strengthening my hand. I've made almost no useful contributions to my home or community.

All my normal activities have been suspended out of necessity -- they can't be done with one hand. Even personal hygiene is impacted. Do you realize that a hand cannot wash itself or its own armpit? That's just one example. One hand can't wring water out of a cloth either. When I used a washcloth on my face, water flew everywhere. Then Linda came and made little washcloths from a bath towel. They're perfect.



I did manage to wash my Dr. Strangelove glove. Here it is, taking the sun on our back deck.


Dennis, bless his heart, has done all the cooking.


He even made biscuits.

We've enjoyed simple meals. A home-grown tomato made this one special. (Unfortunately for Dennis, having a meal with me is like dining with a toddler; when I finished this meal the placemat was a mess. Poor old right hand is still in training.)


I've put together two jigsaw puzzles, read several books, watched movies, and stared out the window observing wildlife.



Now I'm three days away from the six-week anniversary of surgery, which means I'll be able to ditch the splint. (see From "The Mummy" To "Dr. Strangelove.") My hand is stronger every day, thanks to great physical therapy. Today I took off the splint and drove myself to town for therapy, which is a major milestone.

If I can just prevent the tendons in my right hand from breaking before I have it repaired on October 25, I'll be home free. I'm trying to be very careful using that hand and keeping my fingers crossed (figuratively, of course).

4 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Hey! You have a new background! Looks like the highway going into town!

Love, love, love the photos! That mac and cheese made my mouth water! Thanks for posting the before photo rather than the aftermath photo!

So happy to see progress and to see all the love and support surrounding My Mama!

Love you!
P.S. We're all impressed with the Praying Mantis; it looks to be a foot long from here!

Shirley said...

The praying mantis was over four inches long. Its head reminded me of E.T. I used the macro lens to photograph it, which accounts for its appearing to be bigger than life.

The mac and cheese was Stouffer's from the frozen food section. Quite good.

LawrenceLinda said...

What persistence and, to thisl outsider's view, an incredible optimism during the long haul to healing! I'm hoping that the progress is ever increasing as you manage with your new wrist-forearm. Do you have a new name for it? Will you name the new anatomy after your doctor?

Shirley said...

My fused wrist will always be Dr. Strangelove to me. I hope it doesn't take on a life of its own, as his arm did.