Thursday, October 20, 2011

I've Seen The Light

I'm visiting in Colorado Springs again and every day I marvel at the beauty of this huge tree against the blue, blue sky.


Although I love being here I've been feeling bum -- very tired, headachy, and dizzy. My stomach hurts and I don't have much appetite for Nancy's excellent cooking. Worst of all, my hearing has become so bad I can hardly understand what anyone says.

Yesterday it occurred to me to check the side effects of sulfasalazine, an arthritis medicine I've been taking for the past few months. Much to my surprise I learned that it can cause every one of the symptoms that are troubling me, including hearing loss!

Are the symptoms reversible? I don't know. I do know this: now that I've seen the light, never again will I take medicine without carefully reading about its possible side effects and being watchful for them.

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

Shirley....I've been thinking about "blobs". Does one have an obligation to post what is going on in one's life or is it totally selfish. If you want to, you do and if you don't want to post, you don"t? I guess that's my question. Think about that!
How did I respond to your post "Talking Coffee".?...many memories of my youth where we went to my father's parents house almost every Sunday and the one half of the family who was railroad management would have the same argument every week with the other half of the family who were union railmen. Chicken pot pie and class warfare as I grew up in central Pennsylvania....memories of talking! Thanks for the memories.

Shirley said...

I shared the sulfasalazine side effects information because someone else might be in the same mess and not realize that the medication was causing problems. There's no obligation to post everything, most of which is of no value or interest to anyone. Why do I post? is a good question, though. I call my blob a journal because that's what it is for me – a record of the rhythms of life, a reminder of my days.