Monday, March 21, 2011

Going Home

Years ago I saw a movie set in an insane asylum. One scene is etched in my mind: the inmates were gathered for some entertainment and a young woman inmate poignantly sang "Going home, going home. I am going home." She was not going home and probably never would, unless home was heaven, so my heart ached for her. 

After three months away my heart, like that young girl's, is longing for home.  Galveston has been lovely, especially during the past six weeks when the weather turned warm, but truly there is no place like home, the place I know deeply in all of its seasons. 

Tomorrow Dennis and I will set out on our journey to Kansas, where spring will be waiting.


These are pelicans, but they remind me of geese flying north, going home.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Beautifully written, Mama!

Not being with the green light anymore makes me a little bit sad, though.

Shirley said...

Don't feel sad. The green light burned out last week, so there's no fish-watching at night anymore.

Thank you for your kind words. I only wish the Reinkings could be at Paradise when we arrive.

Jayhawk Fan said...

I would love to be there too!