Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Death Along The Gulf Shore

Thanks to water circulation patterns in the Gulf of Mexico, no oil from the Deepwater Horizon blow-out reached the east coast of Texas, but I believe that ramifications of BP's horrific oil spill now are showing up on Galveston Island beaches.

Baby dolphins are dying in the Gulf and scientists believe it is because they were conceived near the time of the oil spill. Dolphins are at the top of the food chain and the mothers, it is speculated, had a diet of contaminated fish during their pregnancies. Reports of dead babies are coming from other parts of the Gulf's arc, but I saw one on a Galveston beach last week. (I wasn't carrying my camera -- an oversight I won't repeat.)

We have seen an unusual number of large dead fish all winter, and yesterday I saw another one, over two feet long.


Further on I was shocked to see a dead sea turtle.


Attribution of these deaths to the oil spill may be wrong, but I suspect that we have not seen the last of the damage caused by BP's greed and its disregard for Mother Earth.

No comments: