Friday, May 23, 2014

Yard Art


Major surgery at age 78 is not undertaken lightly. In fact, in the weeks leading up to my hip joint replacement surgery on May 1, my spirits were low. Feelings of helplessness plagued me and I doubted my ability to make yet another comeback. Going into surgery with doubts does not promote healing.

I knew I had to pull myself out of negative space, so I called Nancy. If anyone can bolster one’s confidence, it’s Nancy. What’s more, she never fails to say something funny and set me laughing. Thanks to her voice over a long distance, my courage returned.

Now, three weeks into recovery, my confidence is back. I can walk without a cane. I ventured out to observe Dennis’s garden this afternoon. I baked a loaf of sourdough bread. I made soup and cornbread. I can get in and out of the car without assistance.

What’s more my sense of whimsy and humor is back. Yesterday on the way back from town I noticed a large green ball resting incongruously in the grass by our county road. Neither Dennis nor I mentioned the ball, but as we drove along, I imagined someone stopping to retrieve that ball. I imagined why that person would want it and what would become of it.

This morning I looked out a front window and was amazed to see the green ball resting on the base of a birdbath whose basin broke years ago.


Dennis confessed that he had gone back to retrieve it. Little had I imagined that ball would end up as yard art at my house. It tickles my funny bone. Now we will watch to see how long it takes the wind to carry the ball to someone else who might need a bit of humor in their life.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

Yikes! That's the egg of the green spotted cuckoo. Put it back where you found it.

Jayhawk Fan said...

I enjoy how you two appreciate the whimsy in the world! I'm thrilled you think of me as helpful. I know I love you so much and always wish for you the very best!