Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Taste of Summer


Even though summer hasn’t officially begun, eighty-seven degrees with high humidity calls for one of my favorite summer pleasures – sun tea sweetened with lemon syrup.

In the late morning I filled a half-gallon jar with filtered water, added three family-size tea bags, put a lid on the jar, and set it on the deck railing to catch the sun’s rays all afternoon.


Then I set about making lemon syrup. I had one organic lemon, rather shriveled, so I cut it in half, extracted the juice, and added the two lemon shells to water and sugar. After it boiled for five minutes I set the pan off the stove to cool.


After the syrup cooled I strained the syrup, squeezing all the syrup out of the lemon halves, and added fresh lemon juice. The kitchen Buddha was pleased.


Now we are all set for several days’ worth of iced tea and enough lemon syrup to last through three or four batches of tea.

If you want to enjoy this summer treat, here’s the lemon syrup recipe:

Lemon Syrup

Combine two cups sugar with two cups of water. Add the grated peel of one lemon. (Or, if you have a shriveled lemon, do as I did today. It’s a much easier method.) Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until all the sugar crystals have dissolved, and let it boil for five minutes.

Let the syrup cool and remove the lemon halves,  squeezing out the syrup they contain. Or, if you have used grated lemon peel, strain the syrup into a quart jar. Add ¾ cup fresh lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate the syrup.

Happy summer time!

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

No comments: