Sunday, December 29, 2013

Hubbub


This long winter holiday, I’m finding, is tough on old people like me. Most of us live rather quiet lives, orderly lives filled with familiar routines. We have learned to appreciate simplicity and quiet time. These are the very antithesis of the winter holiday season, which stretches from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day.

We are enveloped in a great rush of food preparation, plans made, events anticipated and prepared for, and gift giving. For some of us there are religious ceremonies and concerts to attend.

Russian Tea Cakes, Our Traditional Cookie

Reunions with family and friends made it all worthwhile, but now I’m ready to slip back into solitary pursuits. Sewing projects are waiting and I’m still trying to perfect my whole wheat sourdough bread. I have a long list of projects – several started but not finished – in my mind,

After all the feasting I’m ready, too, for the simple meals that Dennis and I enjoy regularly. Even the traditional New Year’s Day meal of black-eyed peas and cornbread is a simple meal, nutritious and not taxing on the digestive system.

It was fun, but I’m glad the hubbub has died down. Give me the serene simple life.



Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: