Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Every Day Is a Holiday



Judging by the slow development of buds on the Christmas cactus, I’m not the only one who isn’t ready for holidays to begin. What’s worse, I don’t even want them to begin. I try to look back over the decades to my childhood, when this season seemed magical, when I ate horrible ribbon candy that no one really liked, and when I eagerly anticipated the arrival of Santa Claus, who by an amazing coincidence wore house slippers just like my mother’s.

Now, instead of eagerly awaiting the holidays, I eagerly await their being over. These days, ordinary daily life delights me. I find delight in the winter sunset.


I find delight in a pot of broth simmering on the back burner.


I find delight in baking and sharing a cherry pie made from cherries we pitted ourselves. I find delight in the fact that six of us were forced to savor our slices very carefully and slowly because any bite might contain a cherry pit. We found a total of 52. Barbara and I were tied for the championship with thirteen each.


And, yes, I still find delight in baking sourdough bread, in knowing that by creating the starter I captured wild yeast spores from the air, spores that transform flour and kill off any bacteria that might invade their domain – a quart-sized mason jar in our refrigerator. I love my starter, I respect it, and I am fascinated by the symbiotic relationship between myself and these organisms. My pal Linda says I should write a blog post called, “I Was a Sourdough Slave,” but I could no more fail to feed and nourish my starter than to quit feeding and caring for myself.


Holidays, schmalidays. Every day is a holiday, a celebration of life.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

Holidays mean days off from work that, even if you love it, are so many days of the week. Once we are retired, we lose that wonderful change in routine. Remember those old days?

Shirley said...

I do remember those days, Linda. I remember coming home from work on Wednesday afternoon and starting preparations for an elaborate Thanksgiving dinner for 15 or 20 people. By the time the meal was served I was ready for a long recuperative nap.