Saturday, September 29, 2012

Comfort Food

It's a beautiful day in Paradise, but my heart is heavy. During this past week I've heard bad news. In separate incidents two people I know have gotten falling-down drunk and hit their heads. Both are sweet, dear men who happen to be alcoholics. One has a deep gash in his scalp and a concussion; the other has a fractured skull and is hospitalized.

Alcoholism is a terrible affliction that hurts not only the alcoholic, but also those who love and care about them, who live in fear of the phone call in the middle of the night. There's nothing I can do to help, but my heart aches.

At times like this I turn for comfort to food, which usually means making a childhood favorite.  Today I made pimento cheese, a dish my mother made many times, which is probably why I consider it a comforting food. She ground cheddar cheese and whole pimentos together in an old food grinder that attached to the table edge. It was quite a production. Now, making pimento cheese is much easier, but it tastes just as good as my mother's.


Pimento Cheese

8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces diced pimentos
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
several blobs of mayonnaise or, my favorite, Miracle Whip

Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed.

Now make a sandwich or just get some crackers and dig in. You will feel better, at least I did.

No comments: