Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Seeing Things Differently

I won't write about the continuing drought and heat. It's tiresome. Instead I'm wanting to share the spider tunnel I discovered this morning while sweeping the garage.


It is probably the home of a wolf spider, a kind of spider I rather like. I like it because it doesn't wander from its lair, instead waiting for its food to blunder into the trap. Consequently, it disposes of lots of pesky insects. I let one build its tunnel in my bedroom curtains one summer. We respected each other's territory.

This particular tunnel is interesting because it incorporates a number of dead leaves which provide camouflage. The spider incorporated one green leaf, which you can see forms the floor of the tunnel.

Here's where seeing things differently comes in. I took several photos of the tunnel and in one of them I saw the green leaf differently.


I saw a green face under a cowl, its eyes shaded by the cowl overhang. It appears to be a woman entrapped by the tunnel. She stares out mournfully. Maybe its easier to see if magnified a little.



OK, so you can't see it. Don't feel bad about it. I think it happens when I let my eyes go out of focus briefly, maybe a result of astigmatism. I see faces in the grain of wood, my cottage cheese bedroom ceiling, sand formations, even in the backs of my closed eyelids. These are not the faces of people I know; they are anonymous.

Dennis thinks I'm a little nuts, but seeing faces is one of my favorite entertainments. It always has been. I remember the first faces I saw as a child. They appeared on the front of Mother's buffet. They were two prim ladies facing each other in profile. They had formal hairdos.

Do I really see things that much differently? I'll bet other people out there have similar experiences. I hope they do.

4 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I am now the proud owner of said buffet, and I can see exactly how you saw the profiles of the prim ladies! I, for the life of me, can't see ANYTHING in your popcorn ceiling, nor in the green leaf, but then you have an artist's eye!

LawrenceLinda said...

I don't see faces everywhere. I don't have that talent at all. My husband reports that as he is falling asleep he often has very distinct faces float before him in great detail of people, none of whom he knows. My grand-daughter's very musical friend hears many melodies just before she sleeps. What a wonderful brain we all have. Where is lack of stimulation, it makes art.

Shirley said...

The photo doesn't begin to illustrate my intriguing ceiling. I'llr try to replace this photo with a better shot.

Glad to know you see the ladies! I can see them now in my mind, and next week I'll see them in person. Just think, that buffet is more than 80 years old. I wonder what that style is called.

Shirley said...

Your comment is reassuring. It's especially interesting that the girl who hears melodies has aural imagination, something I lack entirely. This makes me wonder whether some people might have taste or touch imagination.

You have the great talent of seeing things are they are and being able to recreate them with pencil or pen or brush.