Sunday, September 11, 2011

From "The Mummy' to "Dr. Strangelove"

I had three-hour hand and wrist surgery on August 25 and spent the next two days in a narcotics-induced haze, floating in a briny sea, breathing through gills again. Then, having called it quits with oxycodone, I swam to the shore of reality and gazed in awe at my mighty left paw.


The half cast and dressings seemed to weigh five pounds. It rested on two pillows beside me, keeping my hand above my heart.

Six days later a nurse removed the bandages and cast, revealing a bruised and swollen hand adorned with Frankenstein black stitches. Then came a splint molded to hold my fingers straight. Under the splint I wear a Dr. Strangelove glove to help reduce swelling.


With the splint came instructions for faithful exercising of fingers four times a day. Last week the stitches were removed and new, more difficult exercises became my routine. My fingers become a bit more dexterous every day. I'll have to wear the splint, which essentially makes me a one-handed person, for three and a half more weeks.

Looking back at older posts I marvel that just a year ago I was making jelly and working in the garden, sewing and preparing meals. Maybe someday I'll be able to do such things again but for now I'm learning to depend on others to help me through each day.

Next time I'll write about the wonderful people who have helped me get this far, people to whom I am deeply indebted.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Thank you for this much-needed post! So glad you are getting more control over those fingers again!

I love you, Mama!

Shirley said...

Lawrence Linda unsuccessfully tried to post a comment, so sent it to me in an e-mail.

She said, "If you had a photo of yourself just before the surgery to compare with the one you posted of you smiling and showing off your splint, you would see the world of difference in your face. The strain from both the pain and the indecision of what to do about is gone. That return of a pink, smiling face is one of the good side effects of the surgery. Stay the course!"

Encouraging words for which I'm grateful. Life is getting better.

LawrenceLinda said...

I've learned that one cannot edit a comment.