Thursday, July 14, 2011

Too Many Pockets

I have a black leather purse with seven pockets. It weighs one and a quarter pounds empty and slips off my shoulder with a jerk. I also have a purse that copies the healthy back bag. It has nine pockets plus a big interior. I can never find anything but my car keys in either purse.

Whenever I'm in a department store I look at purses. There's never one I could a) carry, or b) be seen in public carrying. They're all either too big or too small and are trying too hard to be fashionable, whatever that is. Why are women's purses so goofy?

Finally, I decided to make a purse that suits me.


The strap is long enough to wear bandolier-style so it can't slip off my shoulder. It's soft and sturdy and has just one pocket in addition to the main interior.


I made it from a thrift-store man's shirt and a thrift-store woman's dress. The thread came from a church rummage sale. It was almost finished when I was struck with a severe rheumatoid arthritis flare-up in my left hand -- my dominant hand.

The last step was to hand-sew the lining to the bag. I took it to a gathering of Sew What at Pam's house. My friends Carol, Linda and Pam sewed the lining in for me, each taking a turn. I left humming that old Beatles' song, I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends. Thanks, ladies.

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

May I have it when you die? 8-) Remember all those queries you put up with from us when we were too young to know better?

Beautiful! I think you've got a good pattern there and could market it on Etsy.com!

Love YOU!

LawrenceLinda said...

You were a genius at making a purse from a sow's ear (or thrift store shirts, in contemporary parlance.) I'll gladly hand-stitch anything you bring to the group. It's too hot to needle felt wool these days.