Thursday, July 7, 2011

Praise Be To The Kitchen Gods

For they have blessed us with the perfect bread box.

All these years of wrapping homemade bread in plastic bags (how degrading) have ended. Last week it occurred to me that there are breadboxes, that they are not just a thing of the past.

Looking on line I found hundreds of breadboxes. I read the reviews. Not good. In addition to wanting my breadbox to be attractive, made of good materials and functional, I wanted it to include a surface for cutting bread like the ones I remember from childhood. Antiques were too fussy. Stainless steel ones were too industrial. Plastic ones were unthinkable. Glass ones made no sense. None had cutting surfaces. I looked in stores, too, but fruitlessly.

Finally I stumbled on the Crate and Barrel offerings and found this one made of bamboo.


Such clean lines! Such simple functionality! How easy to open! And check this out -- a cutting surface!


The big bonus is the material -- bamboo is the wood of the future. It can grow in flood plains. It renews itself endlessly. I just hope this bamboo was grown in the U.S. of A., and that the box was made here, too.

4 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Beautiful!

What happened to your dish strainer?

Shirley said...

I moved it for the photo. Maybe I can find a bamboo one to go with the breadbox.

Sorry I'll no longer be using the bread cutting rack you gave me years ago. It has given excellent service. Of course I'll never throw it away.

Jayhawk Fan said...

This breadbox looks so much better than a plastic bag! What a fabulous find!

Shirley said...

Sorry to say, I've learned that the breadbox was made in China. I'm trying to avoid buying such things. What ever happened to "Made in the U.S.A.?"