Friday, May 13, 2011

Cooking Disasters

Every cook has them. An unattended pot boils over. A jar of raspberry syrup falls on the floor, breaks, and sprays the cabinets and floor. You know what I mean. A moment's lapse, a slip of the hand, and you spend an hour cleaning up the mess.

I created one today. Starting to make a pie crust, I measured oil into a cup and reached for another measuring cup in the cabinet above. Our weather turned sharply colder today, so I was wearing a fleece jacket. The bottom of the jacket caught the oil-filled cup and overturned it. Oil poured onto the cabinet, my pants, one of my slippers and the floor. End of pie-making, beginning of messy clean up. I hardly knew where to begin.

Eventually I got to the oil-soaked suede slipper. All I knew to do was wash it, not a good thing for leather.


Leather that gets wet dries stiff as a board. It must be massaged and worked to make it malleable again. If only the prosecutors in O. J. Simpson's murder trial had known that they never would have asked him to put on the glove. Now that was a real disaster, one that can never be cleaned up.

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Dang! I remember spilling a pot of spaghetti sauce and the stuff landed everywhere: walls, floor, crevices, spindles....what a mess!

I was just reading in my most recent issue of The Atlantic Monthly (thank you for that gift!) about how DNA testing has become so reliable and investigations now are so regimented that OJ may have been found guilty after all. Evidently his blood was found mixed in with the victims, but the defense team convinced the jury that the investigation was compromised and that his blood was "planted."

So, is this slipper photo before washing or after?

Shirley said...

Oh, I should have taken a "before" photo. This one was after the washing. The dark blue one was wet.

Dang right, he did it!