Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Soup of The Evening, Beautiful Soup

In winter I always think of lines from a poem by Lewis Carroll:
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Beau - ootiful Soo - oop!
Beau - ootiful Soo - oop!
Soo - oop of the e - e - evening,
Beautiful, beautiful Soup!
Who wouldn't feel like singing when presented with a steaming bowl of soup on a cold winter night? Soup is the best part of winter!


This is a bowl of cabbage soup made from one of the savoy cabbages I nurtured through the fall. I'd never made cabbage soup before and was surprised by the the delicious flavor.

Here's the recipe I made up after studying a variety of cookbooks:

Gently saute half an onion, chopped, and two cloves of garlic, chopped, in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Do this in a big pot. When the onion is translucent, add two quarts of water, four teaspoons of chicken base and bring to a boil. Stir in half a big cabbage, shredded, and two carrots, sliced. Simmer until the cabbage wilts, then add a small can of crushed tomatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve it up with a piece of hot cornbread.

If you want more protein, poach a couple of skinless chicken breasts in the water and chicken base before starting the onions and garlic. Remove the chicken and let it cool a bit while you make the soup. Slice or shred the chicken and add it to the soup a few minutes before serving. Snipped parsley would be a nice topping for each bowl.

Making soup is a casual undertaking. Proportions aren't critical. Ingredients may be added or omitted, depending on what is available. You can substitute chicken broth for the water and chicken base. Add celery with the onions and garlic, if you like. Experiment, but rest assured that when icy rain is falling nothing will make you feel better than a beautiful bowl of soup.

6 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

ODE to SOOOOUP! Love this post! I love the photo! I love the poem/lyrics. I LOVE getting the recipe! It's all about food for me.

I will often belt out the classic, "Food Glorious Food" from the musical OLIVER! based on the book OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens!

I'm awaiting our first big snow of the season and I've also got a soup recipe in mind using up all my sweet potatoes! I hope they don't rot for waiting!

Shirley said...

Sweetie, sweet potatoes keep forever. Will you use your immersion blender?

I had thought "Soup of the evening" was from Oliver, and was surprised to learn that it was by Lewis Carroll.

Jayhawk Fan said...

You BET I'm going to be using my immersion blender. I've placed it in a shrine in my kitchen!

I got a new Sweet Potato Bisque recipe from the Savory Spice store downtown that calls for a Chai mixture (kindly combined by Savory!), chicken broth, cinnamon, cloves, white pepper, dark brown sugar, cardamom, cream and apple juice! Snow flakes are falling as I write this!

I love you!

Shirley said...

And I you.

Please report on the sweet potato soup!

Jayhawk Fan said...

Zach's comment: tasty but sludge-like. It had the consistency of baby food, I'm afraid.

Well, at least we're all chock-full of healthy vitamins! I just looked up the vitamin content of sweet potatoes: potassium, calcium, folate, Vit. C and off the charts for Vit. A, plus it has the added benefit of fiber with a low glycemic index!

Shirley said...

A baked sweet potato with a pat of butter is delicious and a lot easier. The longer it bakes, the sweeter it is -- up to a point.