Sunday, June 18, 2017

PPO*

Remember that hokey movie device where calendar pages flit away to show the passage of time? Recently I’ve had a recurring mental image of that same device going in reverse – pages rapidly reattaching to the calendar.

And that’s how I feel now, as if my life were going backwards to a much earlier decade in our country. Laws and regulations are abolished so rapidly my head swims. If the House of Representatives has its way, there will be no restraints on making a buck when it hurts masses of other people. Dodd-Frank will be down the tubes. Discrimination in our schools – that’s okay now. Mandatory sentencing will be enforced! We must keep our private prisons operating at capacity. Is a big hunk of Antarctica’s ice shelf about to break completely off and float away like a giant ice cube? Gosh, maybe someone can make a profit on that.

The list could go on, but I’m sick of thinking of all of the daily insults to our common sense and the common good, I want Bernie, a true man of the people, and a dammed smart one. When I think of his campaign, I get pissed off all over again. Why didn’t our major newspapers and other media give him decent coverage? The truth ­– and Bernie tells it – is that millions of ordinary people are being massively ripped off by our wealthiest citizens.

All of this has made me extremely cranky and outspoken. I don’t know what might save me, but my hope is that the Millennials will wake up, speak up, and vote! Without their participation, all of our rights will be lost. The calendar is rapidly flying backwards.

*Perpetually Pissed-Off.

Copyright 2017 by Shirley Domer



No comments: