Saturday, September 10, 2016

Prayer before Surgery

It’s been quite a while since I’ve written in this journal. I’m having computer problems, but that’s not the main reason I’ve fallen silent. Mostly it’s because I’m facing yet another surgery and I’m worn out with getting my weary old body repaired. What’s more, I have other surgeries awaiting attention. If it isn’t one thing, it’s another. (Thanks, Gilda)

This afternoon I’ve been pretty low and found myself seeking help from the higher power.* 

Oh! God, I need a pep talk.
I’m feeling kinda low.
You see, I just turned 81 a week or so ago.

I’ve been repaired so many times,
But still have more to go.
Should it be my bad left knee,
Or maybe my big toe?

But wait, there’s more!
What about my cataracts?
What about my throat?
I can only mount a few attacks!

So, God, give me the courage
To see this old life through.
I’m pretty well exhausted.
That’s why I turn to you.

Amen.

*I've used the word "God," but there are many names one might use. Really, the higher power has no name.

Copyright 2016 Shirley Domer


No comments: