Thursday, April 7, 2016

Return to Paradise

Returning to Paradise after five months in Tucson we were greeted by flowers galore. The forsythia and narcissus were blooming, and the ornamental crabapple tree was glorious.


In the memorial my favorite tulip was in its prime.


Elm tree must have had a banner year bloom because the deck was littered with elm twigs that snapped off from the weight of seeds.


The chickens were right where we left them in the care of our friend Laurie. Lila, the lavender orpington, has grown from a pullet into a hefty hen. 


Al of this was lovely and welcoming, but when I walked into the house my first thought was, “Why do we have all this stuff?” After living quite happily in a two-room casita in Tucson I suddenly realized that having an eight-room house only encourages the accumulation of unnecessary things.

I’m going to tackle the job of downsizing just as soon as I catch up on preparing our tax return, seeing the dentist, audiologist, rheumatologist, and optometrist, and getting a good haircut. The risk, of course, is that I will become accustomed once again to having too much stuff and just ignore it all. That has happened before. Amidst the routine of everyday living it's all too easy to lose sight of worthwhile goals.


Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Laurie said...

So wonderful to have you back!