Friday, October 16, 2015

Neither Here nor There

Becoming a snowbird has had me neither here nor there. My mind has busy thinking about what to do with the last of this year’s garden vegetables, but it’s also been trying to anticipate what we will need to furnish our casita kitchen in Tucson. I have more lists of things to do than you can shake a stick at. But last week I stole a few moments to photograph the true beginning of fall – the turning of the ivies in our woods from green to red and orange.


Quickly the flames spread to the leaves of the trees themselves and leaf fall began in earnest. What’s more, last night our first frost finished off the garden peppers, the last plants in the garden other than perennials such as strawberries and raspberries. Yesterday Dennis picked the last tomatoes and this morning he brought in all the salvageable peppers. I had fun sorting the produce*, and I’m happy knowing that I can soon leave food preservation behind and focus on packing up for our sojourn away.



*We didn’t grow the two Jonathon apples; they just happened to be on the kitchen worktable. They, along with three or four others, soon will become apple pie.


Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

No comments: