Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Coming Back to Life


Today, for the first time since my knee joint replacement almost three weeks ago, I feel rather like myself again. Knee surgery has been very painful for me, unlike hip replacement. First under general anesthesia and then heavy pain medications, I can barely remember being in the hospital. Even early days at home are fuzzy in my mind.

I’ve been bored but lethargic, but today I got up with goals in mind and, by golly, I’ve carried them out. I’m being more faithful about physical therapy exercises, too, and I can tell you they pay off.

So, now there’s time and energy to admire the way my poinsettia is developing the red bracts we enjoy during the holidays. I had thought the plant would grow red leaves, and that does seem to happen, but some of the old leaves are slowly turning red.


I bought the plant last year at the hardware store. It had five branches and was about 10 inches tall. For once, I didn’t kill a poinsettia, but I hated to throw it out when the blooms and red bracts fell off. My pal Barbara suggested that I put it outside for the summer, as she does poinsettias year after year.

Sure, I thought, why not? I put it in a big pot and set it on the deck where it was shaded part of the day. Its growth was amazing. It filled out and grew taller.

Now the poinsettia is in my sewing room, lapping up winter sun, dozing in the long winter nights. I believe the poinsettia and I are rejuvenating together. We’re going to bloom soon.



Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

What a lovely connection to have!