Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Good Man Is Hard To Find


Eddie Green wrote the lyrics, Bessie Smith sang them and Flannery O’Connor took the title for her short story, “A good man is hard to find.” After some false starts I finally found one. From the start I said I married him for his character. Sure he’s intelligent and good-looking.  He’s strong and fit, too, but lots of men have those things going for them. It’s the character that set him above the crowd.


This character has many facets. He is an Eagle Scout and continually earns merit badges of one sort or another. He is loyal, trustworthy and brave. His character also manifests in his sense of humor. He is a Gemini and his alternate self is a guy I call Michael Soft. (I’ve mentioned Michael is a number of posts over the last three years.) Michael has a delightful, off-the-wall reaction to life that makes me roar with laughter. He doesn’t show up often, but is always welcome to stop by.

Nowhere has my good man’s character been better demonstrated than his care-giving during the 27 days since my shoulder surgery. He has been unfailingly cheerful, optimistic and generous. He has prepared meals, helped me bathe and dress and exercise. Without his help I would have to be in a rehabilitation facility. I am grateful beyond expression for his support.


Is he perfect? No, nor would I be comfortable with him if he were. I’m not perfect either and we’ve grown to enjoy each other’s foibles. After 37 years together I love him more than ever before.

Bessie sang…

So if your man is nice, take my advice;
Hug him in the morning, kiss him at night
Give him plenty lovin'; treat your good man right.

That’s what I try to do for my good man, Dennis Domer.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Amen, sista! We all love this man!

Laurie said...

I love this post!

Blair said...

This is so sweet!