Friday, June 21, 2013

The Times Are A-changing


Don’t you love the television ads pushing one pharmaceutical or another? While the middle-aged couple dances, gazing romantically at each other, the voice-over is reciting the terrible side effects of the pharmaceutical that brought passion back into their lives. The four-hour erection warning is amusing, but the warnings for some products are horrifying as in “possibly fatal.”

My primary doctor is what some might call a “pill-pusher.” Her prescription pad is always at hand. She knows her pharmaceuticals backwards and forwards. Every time I leave her office I’m carrying written prescriptions and a paper bag full of samples. Having viewed a lot of pharmaceutical television ads, instead of stopping by a pharmacy to fill the prescriptions, I hightail it home to research side effects. Whoo-boy! Are they ever scary!

Sometimes I decide to give the pharmaceutical a try, only to find that it hurts my stomach, keeps me awake, causes my bleeding gums or makes me crazy.

Before my shoulder surgery I had to prove myself fit for the lengthy operation. This involved, among other things, a visit to a cardiologist for clearance. Having been conditioned to the prescription routine, I was dumbfounded when the kindly gentleman advised me to go to the Community Mercantile, our local natural foods cooperative, to purchase ubiquinol and D-ribose. He recommended three doses of several capsules of each prior surgery. I don’t think he had a prescription pad in the room.

Two weeks after surgery I saw the surgeon for stitch removal and checkup. When he and I discussed the nerve damage that occurred during surgery, he advised me to take 1,000 mg. of Vitamin C and 800-1,000 International Units of Vitamin E every day to facilitate nerve recovery. Again I was amazed to be sent to buy food supplements instead of filling a prescription.

Hey, maybe the times are a-changin’ and not a moment too soon. Unfortunately our health insurance covers only pharmaceuticals, not supplements. 

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: