Saturday, April 20, 2013

This and That


This and that actually is the stuff of life. Little things sometimes add up to a good day in spite of nothing important having happened. Yesterday was such a day in my life.

Checkers, my two-store grocery chain, had beautiful red peppers for 39¢ each. I bought some to roast. Their color alone was enough to make me happy.


Egg gathering, too, produced a smile. The chicken yard is muddy from recent rains. When a hen is ready to lay an egg, she settles into the nest atop any previously-laid eggs. Consequently, it is easy to see which egg was laid last.


After two weeks’ dormancy, my home-saved pimento pepper seeds started germinating. I love the way each seedling emerges from the soil bent in half, then straightens and opens its two leaves. The pimentos are in the pot on the left. In spite of having been stored in the basement for four years they are out-performing the Corno di Toro (bull’s horn) Italian pepper seeds I purchased this spring.


Finally, I made a favorite dish for supper: fried potatoes and onions. Leftover baked potatoes make the best pan-fried potatoes. After the potatoes browned I shoved them to one side and added sliced onions, which cooked very quickly. It was delicious with ketchup on the side.


Wouldn’t it be great if every day’s this and that added up to happiness?

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Those fried potatoes look mighty good from here!

Love you!

WilleWorks.com said...

I agree with Nancy. Yum! I got some of those red peppers too. They were delicious and Ozzie loved them with some sauteed fish.