Friday, February 8, 2013

Going in Circles


Some canal homeowners install fishing lights, green underwater bulbs that glow from the canal depths. I took this photo at 6:30 a.m.


As the day brightens, the lights fade away, but night brings the them to prominence.


I suppose the purpose of these rather eerie beacons is to attract fish so that people can catch them. Funny thing, though, I’ve never seen anyone fishing the canals at night. I’ve never seen anyone fishing the canals at all except my brother, who was unsuccessful in catching anything.

The lights, however, sometimes provide a show for a person watching from a deck nearby. Last night I stood entranced by a school of little fish swimming in endless circles around a fishing light. It was a display worthy of the Monterey Aquarium in California.

I’m going in circles, too, trying to find my center while counting the days until I can go home. In fact, I’m more there than here. I miss Dennis, Annie and the chickens. I miss my house, my grocery store, my routine.

Thanks to the fishing lights for a pleasant distraction from my longing. Thanks to the little fish who swim around them, going in circles just like me.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: